By Anita Capizzi, R.N., CHC
Many processed cereals turn into sugar very quickly in our bodies because they are made from refined carbohydrates. There is nothing in the cereal to slow down the digestion process. That means that the fuel we have given our children to start their school day, is quickly used up and gone! That causes hunger pangs and distractibility early in the day. What could we feed our children that would digest slower and help to give them lasting energy throughout the morning?
Try out these different breakfast ideas for lasting nourishment:
– oatmeal with organic raisins and a maple syrup to sweeten
– almond butter and banana sandwich on whole grain toast
– breakfast egg sandwich on whole grain muffin with organic cheese
– avocado on whole grain toast sprinkled with sea salt and extra virgin olive oil
– leftover quinoa or millet with warm milk, walnuts, fruit and honey or maple syrup
The whole grain toast, oatmeal and quinoa or millet are whole grains that get digested much slower than refined grains. Avocado and almond butter are healthy fats which are super beneficial to the brain! Eggs and quinoa are proteins which provide lasting energy. Switch it up in the morning for a welcome break from the ordinary while providing your child with optimal nutrition!