Gearing Up for McLean Green Day!
I keep hearing about visits to the pumpkin patch and discussions about Halloween costumes – it must be October! In fact, it’s mid-October and we are just days away from the McLean Green Day hosted by Brooskfield School.
Here is why I am excited about McClean Green Day this Saturday, October 23 (9am – 12pm):
- Brooksfield has been working hard for over a year now to integrate green practices into their school operations and classrooms. Organizing an event like this for the community shows their commitment to environmental stewardship beyond their front doors. It will also give people a chance to learn more about what makes their school green.
- With over 30 vendors focused on sustainable and nutritious living – this will not only be a fun event for the whole family, you will leave with valuable information about green and healthy living.
Green Living Consulting will be giving you important tips for creating a toxin-free home and workplace!
As you and your little ones gear up for that very exciting evening of trick-or-treating, here are some resources to help ensure you are keeping your child safe and reducing negative impacts to the environment that can arise from this unique holiday:
2) Dr. Weil has some great ideas for treat giveaways that are a little less fat-filled but don’t take all the fun out of collecting sweet goodies. Info here.
3) Planet Green also has Green Halloween Tips – some similar to EWG but worth the read nonetheless.
4) Don’t know what to give your child as a trick-or-treat bag? Any resuable grocery bag is the perfect eco-friendly option. If you want to give your child a themed bag that also goes to a good cause, consider a FEED bag. The FEED Project sells feed bags to help feed hungry children. Bag sells for $13.20, but can support a child with micronutrient powders for about one year. Available at HSN.
Fall Green Living Tips
A couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of appearing on TBD.com’s Let’s Talk Live show to give Green Living Tips for the Fall. I discussed weatherizing your home for winter, strategies for maintaining good indoor air quality, tips for staying healthy through the Fall weather transition with safe drinking water, and ways to enjoy the Fall harvest with seasonal fruit and vegetable options. Check out the details of my Fall green living tips HERE.